What is the NewYearsDay Project?


I am setting out for the year of 2021 to create a 365 song playlist. I'm currently experimenting in the year 2020 with formats and genres. The songs are based on my feeling for the day, commemorating a day based on the lyrics, songs fitting into a particular season, or simply the most notable song I listened to that day.

My blog NewYearsDay Project comes from the first song of every year, "New Years Day" by U2. The idea was to make a playlist of songs that puts the listener in the mood for the month. I'll leave links for my general monthly playlist and the specific playlists from last year.  You can expect to see an eclectic mix of music. You'll hear everything from folk to hardcore to pop. My goal is not to be up on the latest releases; however, sometimes they may make to my list.

Before I start the NewYearsProject I should lay down a few confines I'll try to adhere to. 

1) One main artist per month. For example one anberlin song per month.

2) An artist may appear multiple times as a guest/featured artist with another main artists. For example Troye Sivan's "Dance to This" ft. Ariana Grande doesn't disqualify Ariana Grande's "No Tears Left to Cry" from appearing later that month. 

3) Songs must contain lyrics.

4) I will try to provide and English translation for Kpop (or Spanish, German, etc) songs that appear on the list. 

5) I will try to leave readers with useful links to music videos, news articles, podcasts, etc.

6) I'll try to stick to about 500 words on each blog post. 

7) I'll write about myself and my history with the song/artist/album, etc. So please bear with the personal stories.

8) I'll try to link you to my YouTube and Apple Music playlist. Some songs may be available only on YouTube, particularly if it's a cover that really struck me. I don't have Spotify, but I'd welcome any reader to start a list.

Now some disclaimers for my haters--this is me pretending like I'll have readers :)

1) My musical taste is eclectic. Feel free to disagree respectfully.  

2) Things may get personal. I need to be able to write about anything on my mind without censoring to my audience. I want to reveal myself and my beliefs organically as the writing prompts me. I try to write respectfully toward others. I will not use the real names of people, places, or institutions unrelated to the music. 

3) Big disclaimer: My views do not necessarily reflect the views of the artists I write about.  There's going to be some problematic songs on this list and they will have been catchy enough for me to write about them. I fully disagree with them, but the song still has relevance to the day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Photograph" Ed Sheeran, Saturday, February 3, 2024 (updated repost)

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

"All of Me Wants All of You" (Helado Negro Remix) by Sufjan Stevens, Sunday, February 27, 2022