Believer by Cyn, January 5, 2021

 "T
homas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.'” (John 20:28, 29)

MISSIONARY POSITIONS: Before work, I listened to this song and then I overheard a conversation at work. I work with two very different coworkers. I will call them Philosopher and Church Lady. They normally are civil to each other, but there are times that they can be slightly antagonistic about their beliefs. Today was one of those days. The discussion somehow came upon similarities between Buddhism and Jesus's teachings. The Philosopher said, "There's talk that Jesus spent some of his years in India." To which, Church Lady said flatly, "No, the Bible doesn't say that." "But some people believe this..." "They're wrong. The Bible is clear." "No, it's not. What happened during the missing years?" "Jesus went to the temple. He 'grew in wisdom, stature, and in favor with God and men.'" Back and forth and back and forth. 

MAKE ME A BELIEVER: This song is not about faith in God, but about faith in love. But the metaphor bated me. I thought about the evangelist's dream of an agnostic who doesn't believe but could be persuaded. Church folks "hungry for souls" would descend upon this person and make her a believer. I grew up evangelistic series after series pulling in lots of people for usually a short time. Usually these people 1) were of some similar religious background 2) had some kind of need that they found was satisfied with the church 3) and didn't examine nuanced issues about science, race, politics, sexuality, or gender, and when they did, they didn't stick around. 

THE HERESY OF QUESTIONING: Jesus told Thomas, blessed are those who believe who have not seen, and I wonder more and more what that means. I once heard that Jesus didn't actually scold Thomas for wanting proof. In many ways we all need proof for whatever we believe. I believe that people truly have faith in nothing. I was raised as a Christian and I believe many of the tenants and have shed others, but a large part of that is having grown up in a faith tradition. I'm not sure if I'm part of the blessed who believe without seeing because in many ways I have experience God. But I tend to side more with Philosopher than Church Lady because I can't answer the question, nor do I think it's relevant to say that someone else's experience in another faith tradition is invalid.

LIVE YOUR TRUTH: Ultimately, I want to live in a way that is positive for myself. I want to support others in their believe or non-belief. Whatever puts more love out into the universe is what I believe in. 


But seriously, isn't this song a banger?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

“A Voice in the Violence” by Wolves at the Gate, Tuesday, May 14, 2024

"My Secrets Have Secrets Too" by Search the City, Sunday, August 1, 2021