Can’t Hug Every Cat, The Gregory Brothers ft. Cara Hartmann, February 3, 2021

 

Love songs don't necessarily have to be about a person. They can also be about places and things too.  Today's song is my first joke song of the year. The instant likability of this song is a combination of comedian Cara Hartmann doing a bit about "Debbie," a doe-eyed, soft spoken, emotional girl in her early to mid-20s talking creating a dating profile video for E-harmony and the Gregory Brothers taking the already-viral video and turning it into a bubblegum pop track, adding video clips of cat videos for good measure. The result is a feel good track that gives you the warm fuzzies for man's second-best fuzzy friend.

I THINK ABOUT HOW MANY DON'T HAVE A HOME. My family had a few cats when I was growing up. I remember my mom giving up our cat when she found out she was pregnant because she read that kitty litter could be harmful to prenatal development. However, after my youngest sibling was born my sister found a cat in my grandfather's barn who was quite keen to her. One day she said to me, "will you help me? I want to take him home." We wrapped the cat in a blanket and she carried the cat on her bike. My parents just laughed, but the cat now named "Maple," bonded with the family. However, my grandfather wasn't happy. He said that the cat (to him it was "Tommy") was  a great mouser for the barn. He talked to my sister but ultimately he said that we could keep the cat. What kind of grandfather would make a little girl give back a barn cat?

I JUST LOVE THEM AND I WANT THEM. Sadly, Maple was hit by a car shortly after my family moved to North Carolina. Perhaps a year after Maple died my mom decided that she wanted a yellow cat. She had a picture in her mind of the perfect cat. But the strangest thing happened that year. No shelters, breeders, or families we knew in the area had any yellow kittens. My mom asked around at church and within our homeschooling network. Nothing for at least a year. She even attended a birth. She wasn't satisfied with the kittens. Finally, there was a litter of kittens. This large Catholic family in our 4-H group had a cat that gave birth to three kittens. There was a black cat, a grey tabby, and a yellow cat! The cat was to her liking. The black cat was already spoken for. My mom decided to take the yellow cat and the tabby. She said she found her perfect cat and his sister. 

SORRY I'M GETTING EMOTIONAL. I haven't had a cat since I've been in Korea. My clothes thank me. My mom named the yellow cat "Sunshine." His hair was everywhere--every couch and sweater. Sunshine lived for 17 years and his sister "Starlight" for 18. I miss having a cat and look forward to the time when I can have another one. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

“A Voice in the Violence” by Wolves at the Gate, Tuesday, May 14, 2024

"My Secrets Have Secrets Too" by Search the City, Sunday, August 1, 2021