"In Love Again" by Colbie Caillet, Monday, February 15, 2021

 

I've only been to the Honolulu International airport, but from the hour and a half I was there, I will tell the critics they are wrong. Hawaii is NOT overrated in the least. You can see the clearest water and the white sandy beaches from the airport. However, if you chew gum to make your ears pop on a flight, make sure that you bring it with you as the airport doesn't sell it. So to escape the dreariness of a winter's day, let's listen to a track from Colbie Caillat's Malibu Sessions LP. I realize that the rest of the month, I've been freed from the obligation to write about love songs; however, who doesn't love listening to Colbie Caillat? Listening to her reminds me of college when I first discovered this amazing musician in my dorm room when I needed calm music to drown out my roommate talking to his girl friend while I was trying to finish my literature class homework.

THE SHADOWS OF YESTERDAY. It was Easter morning when I got a call from a friend. She had just broken up with her boyfriend and she was moving out of her dorm room. She called me to ride along with her to run some errands. I went along for emotional support because I was pretty sure my friend was going through a lot. However, rather than talking about what had happened, she turned to her plans for the summer. She asked me what I was doing. I said I'd probably just try to earn some money back home doing odd jobs for people at church. She then suggested something that would forever change my life. She had been putting the finishing touches on a piece for a writing course, but in order to finish it, she had to go to Yap, an island part of the Federated States of Micronesia. I didn't have a passport. The ticket was insanely expensive. It was the beginning of April and we would leave at the end of May. I said yes.

I WANNA FALL IN LOVE AGAIN, BUT THIS TIME...WITH NO REGRETS.  Colbie Caillat recorded The Malibu Sessions in 2016 and then joined a country group, Gone West, with her fiancé. However, last year the two broke up and Gone West called it quits. In my research, I see a lot of singers and bands called it quits around the same times. Eighties groups called it quits in the early nineties. Nineties groups called it quits in the early '00s. There were a lot of groups that called it quits in 2008-2010 when the banking crisis spilled over to the music industry. Finally, I've noticed a lot of artists have been on a lengthy hiatus since 2016. Perhaps it's hard to put words to the fact that the world is falling apart. Speaking of going silent, it's very hard for me to write about going to Yap. I didn't do much there, but I learned. It was my first time traveling outside of North America, and seeing how different the world was outside only made me want to see more of the world. I had seen what many people would consider paradise--beautiful beaches, clear water, drinking juice from a coconut--and I wondered what else the world had in store for me.

https://genius.com/Colbie-caillat-in-love-again-lyrics



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Photograph" Ed Sheeran, Saturday, February 3, 2024 (updated repost)

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

"All of Me Wants All of You" (Helado Negro Remix) by Sufjan Stevens, Sunday, February 27, 2022