“True Faith” by New Order, Monday, February 22, 2021


Since I’m on the subject of family, I thought I would share another memory. Buried under twenty years of dust in my parents garage lies an old Yamaha keyboard. It was my dad's Christmas present to my mom in the mid-90s. This model came with 100 recorded instruments, 100 styles of drum beats, everything from foxtrot to metal, and 25 or so recorded songs. It was a pretty typical family keyboard, but it kept me entertained for years. Although I started playing guitar at the age of 12, I had spent a long time messing around on that keyboard trying to make music. I loved playing the keyboard but hated how fake the instruments sounded. Strings, brass, woodwinds--all sounded like the vegetarian version served at camp meeting tasted. Still, that keyboard played such a crucial role for music in my life.   

WHEN I WAS A VERY SMALL BOY. I got my first taste of synthesizers from my keyboard. I learned about the Orchestra Hit. It was the sound used in the hits by Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, and *NSync. Other synths were used in hits like Eiffel 65's "Blue" or Darude's "Sandstorm." And of course all the computer games I was playing had similar synth music. But as the 2000s took full swing, I started to feel frustrated with the family keyboard. My friend's family had a newer model, and their instruments sounded 2% realer. This didn't stop me from playing it or using it to create weird songs with my sister on a tape player. I was fully loving keyboard synthesizers without appreciating their origin story. My mom told me one day that I was going to start guitar lessons. I just said okay, but part of me was screaming out that I wanted to learn piano first. Why? Michael W. Smith was so cool back in the '90s. I wanted to learn how to record trippy music like on Delirious's Mezzamorphis album. And there was Skillet's Invincible and Alien Youth albums. And Linkin Park was getting popular. And Earthsuit's Kaleidoscope Superior had me wondering how could Paul Meany rap so fast when playing the keyboard. I took guitar and loved it, but rock without keys is kinda boring.

MY MORNING SUN IS THE DRUG THAT LEADS ME NEAR TO THE CHILDHOOD I LOST. I talked about my history with New Order last month and about my initial disdain for the '80s sound earlier this month. Anberlin was certainly my gateway drug to New Order's discography, as they released a cover of this song as the third single from their New Surrender album cycle, rereleasing their album with a bunch of B-Sides. A college professor I worked for loved this song, so I started getting into New Order. I don't remember when I first heard this song, but I steered away from it for years because of the old synthesizer sounds. I thought it sounded like something I could have recorded on my mom's keyboard. But years down the road, I see that's the charm of these old synth classics. The song opens with larger-than-life electronic drums. The keyboard keeps a dark atmosphere throughout most of the song until the end, shifting into a major key. New Order is the real deal. Pop and rock musicians look to their synth-pop songs for inspiration. 

Music Video:



Anberlin cover



My Calvins commercial featuring "True Faith":




Parody with James Corden: 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

“A Voice in the Violence” by Wolves at the Gate, Tuesday, May 14, 2024

"My Secrets Have Secrets Too" by Search the City, Sunday, August 1, 2021