"My Bad" (내탓) [KSHMR Edit] by Advanced (어드밴스드) ft. Shaun & Julie Bergan, Tuesday, May 15, 2021

Advanced is a South Korean DJ and producer duo. The original song is sung by singer-songwriter Shaun, whose success referenced in this song, brought him to prominence in Korea and internationally. The English version is sung by Norwegian Singer Songwriter Julie Bergan. The track is remixed and the lyrics are not an exact translation. Shaun's recording of the track is much better vocally and musically. It also has a richer lyrical content in the original Korean. This is not to say that the English version isn't any good. "My Bad" is a kind of behind the music surrounding the rise of Shaun's success, telling the story of a young musician honing his craft as a DJ.

I REMEMBER WHEN I CALLED YOU AND SAID I HAD A #1. In February, I talked about the rise and controversy related to Shaun's breakout hit "Way Back Home." Shaun built his career in the music industry as an electronic musician in rock, pop, and EDM. His high vocal range and ability to make music sound classic and new at the same time has helped him become a beloved artist. That is for the listeners who have dismissed the controversy surrounding "Way Back Home." But as the young artist cuts his teeth as a DJ, "My Bad" tells the story of the girl who got left behind. Shaun is known for his album covers and music videos featuring Korean models. "My Bad," however, includes a young male character in the music video. The scenes depict them stuck in a fish tank drowning, but later, we realize that they were only pretending. But the imagery, nonetheless, depicts what it might be like to date a starving artist. It might be an adventure at first, but the two being stuck in a tiny studio apartment where the queen-sized bed barely fits (the English version) and with 2 people a dog and three cats (the Korean version), tensions begin to rise.

BUT THE MONTHS WENT BY AND SUDDENLY OUR PLACE RAN OUT OF SPACE. I ENDED UP PUSHING YOU AWAY. I've felt several times that I'm waiting for my real life to start. You know, when you buy a house, have a cat, eat a salad every night. That life. I'm waiting for the right job to fall into my lap so that I can make it happen. Waiting for a partner to get into medical school so that we could finally move in together. I'm waiting for the day when my job doesn't suck so much. I'm waiting for the day that my house is finally easier to clean. I'm waiting to be the person I want to become--a fitter, smarter, wealthier me. And it's not just waiting, I do put in the work. Maybe not always enough. Some days I get lazy. Some days I get depressed and just give up. Most of the time I pick myself back up. But really, when is it going to happen? For years I used student loans as an excuse for not moving forward. Eight Hundred dollars is quite a chunk from the paycheck, and I've gotta have a little fun. In high school I was taught to "eat beans now so you can eat steak later." When is the steak coming? Speaking of beans, I probably shouldn't have spent so much money on coffee. I'm a little better at not thinking about living in tomorrow, when my life will actually start. It's actually happening now. What choices can I make for a better future Tyler?

Lyrics (English, Korean Romanized, Korean)

Original Video: 

Julie Bergan KSHMR Edit:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Photograph" Ed Sheeran, Saturday, February 3, 2024 (updated repost)

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

"All of Me Wants All of You" (Helado Negro Remix) by Sufjan Stevens, Sunday, February 27, 2022