"21" by The Starting Line, Saturday, October 23, 2021

This is our third entry from The Starting Line's Direction. I've talked about how this album was my summer of '09 album, and I learned a little about the album's producer. This morning, I awoke at "7 am" actually 7:30 rested, not wasted, to the blaring guitars of this song as my iPad alarm clock song. Lyrics like "21" and "Something Left to Give" make the 23 year old at the time singer/lyricist Kenny Vasoli sound much older. In "Something Left to Give," the young singer thinks about leaving a legacy for his children and grand children--something many in their late twenties today don't think about. In "21," Vasoli worries that the rock star lifestyle is making him "already hazy."

WHEN THE MEDICINE THAT KEEPS ME WELL IS SETTLING. The Starting Line were signed when Vasoli was only 17 years old, and the band's debut album was released a year later. The Pennsylvania band were a part of the Warped Tour scene from their first record. The second track on their album Direction, "21," has been called the sequel to the band's track "Bedroom Talk," which may have been the song that turned me off of the band at first. The lyrics of "Bedroom Talk" are pretty funny, in retrospect. According to the band's website at the time of the song's release, Vasoli wrote "Bedroom Talk" from the perspective of a teenage boy in love with a girl he wants to lose his virginity to. At the time he was 19, and he said he was still a virgin when he wrote that song. The lines weren't exactly poetry: "I'm gonna tear your ass up like we just got married." In fact, it kind of reminds me of the awkward, sloppy movie lines at the time. The ending of the movie Friends with Kids, a few years later, ends with the lines: "Fuck the shit out of me." Maybe I'm just a Puritan, but I like a movie's dirty talk to be buried within the plot of the movie, unless I'm watching Austin Powers. As for song lines, I think Vasoli could have articulated the raw emotion of wanting to connect with someone for the first time a little better. The lyrics of "21" deal with an older Vasoli trying to clean up his act, not even sounding like the same kid from the last album.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Photograph" Ed Sheeran, Saturday, February 3, 2024 (updated repost)

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

"All of Me Wants All of You" (Helado Negro Remix) by Sufjan Stevens, Sunday, February 27, 2022