“I Don’t Need No Santa Claus” by Fiction Family, Monday, December 26, 2022

 

Fiction Family was a side project found by  Christian Rock band Switchfoot's Jon Foreman and bluegrass band Nickel Creek's Sean Watkins. Eventual Switchfoot, Tyson Motensbocker producer Tyler Chester and Aaron Redfield also joined the group. The band produced several folk rock recordings and a free Holiday EP on NoiseTrade (now Paste).  The album is not available on streaming sites, so besides my YouTube playlist, I will include "California Christmas" from Switchfoot's latest release this is our Christmas album.  But I will include "I Don't Need No Santa Claus" because I think it nails the meaning of Christmas that I've been appreciating this holiday season.

I DON'T NEED NO CHRISTMAS SONGS.  Christmas this year feels unfinished. There are some years that I'm in a holiday spirit from September to February. Other years I'm just glad that Christmas ended. But this year I feel as if Christmas didn't actually happen. For me location often plays a big role in how Christmasy I feel. In Korea, Christmas is a couple holiday, and because it was on a weekend, it was back to work right after Christmas. And some countries Christmas isn't even a public holiday. And everyone has localized traditions. In Korea, it's a couple's holiday and couples go out and buy a cake--not a fruitcake, but a chocolate or a strawberry cake--and share it together. It's kind of exhibitionist holiday showing off who's together. When my family moved to North Carolina, I had to adjust to feeling a Christmas feeling without snow because when I lived in New York we had had a white Christmas every year. But this year, I realized something about Christmas. If I don't actively try to celebrate it, I'm going to lose a part of my culture. The culture of Christmas is based on family traditions passed down from generation to generation. I also wonder what the importance of celebrating Christmas is without having a family. 

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS MY BABY HERE WITH ME. But without family what else is there? Couple Christmases. Friends' Christmases. My first Christmas in Korea I spent with friends/coworkers who were planning on leaving Korea the coming March. They were missing home and so we watched Back to the Future because it all reminded us of home. The following year, I cocked up by not making plans. I felt lonely until I started watching a Korean drama called Reply 1997  (응답하러 1997), and I was glued to TV, eating chicken and snacks. I was so moved by the loneliness in Joon Hee's (준희) story--portrayed by singer Hoya--that I vowed that the next year I would start dating guys secretly. But then I got my heart broken by the next Christmas in Korea. This is my eleventh Christmas in Korea and every year has been different. Most have been without a tree. Most have been last minute changes and plans, and when I try to recreate a Christmas that is similar to my memories and expectations, I only get disappointed. I guess if Christmas is that important to me, I need to start planning at least by September what I should order or find in order to recreate Christmas traditions. Otherwise, I should decide that the most important thing about Christmas is family, and family now includes my partner. Spending time together is good enough. Everything else is just a bonus.






Alternate song: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

“A Voice in the Violence” by Wolves at the Gate, Tuesday, May 14, 2024

"My Secrets Have Secrets Too" by Search the City, Sunday, August 1, 2021