"Melted" (얼음들) by AKMU (악뮤), Sunday, February 12, 2023

"Melted" was the second single from AKMU's debut record, Play. The duo's 2014 record was released in the spring, and many of the songs thematically matched with spring. These songs talked about growing up, falling in love, and childhood. Paired with upbeat, bright melodies, Play was one of the best K-pop records to hear in coffee shops around Korea in 2014. "Melted," however, is a colder song. With the lyrical imagery of snow melting, grey skies, and rain, in the context of the album, "Melted" kicks off spring. Although the weather outside may be nasty and while people can be cold, there is an optimism that winter is almost over and that love may win in the end, even if we're in the midst of five more weeks of winter.

WHY ARE THEY SO COLD?  The weather during my time in North Carolina has been pretty mild, but last night the National Weather Service sent people into panic with a potential snow storm. Rain might turn to ice and then to snow. What a Super Bowl Sunday. It didn't happen, though, and I got up to Asheville where I will watch The Philadelphia Eagles take on the Kansas City Chiefs in a game that nobody at the party is actually thrilled to see. I'm in it for the commercials, Rihanna, the food, the experience, friends, and maybe the sexy uniforms, which is honestly what got me into football in the first place. This is the third Super Bowl I've watched since I've been in Korea. The first was "left shark" in 2015, the Chief and the 49ers in 2020, and this year with whatever it might bring. In all of the times I've been home in January or February there have been some weather issues. It was scary driving down the mountain after the 2015 post-Super Bowl snow storm in a car with sketchy brakes.  

IF THE ICE MELTS, A WARMER SONG WOULD HAVE TO COME OUT. As my time in America is winding down and this is one of the last times to see friends and family until I come back, I'm filled with a gratitude that I can pop in on their lives and enjoy life as a teacher in Korea. America has been a nice place to visit, but I miss the life that I've built in Korea. Soon it will be back to school and back to life as normal. The spring will bring a life with fewer Covid restrictions and perhaps some new craziness. I will have to find a new routine to fit in all the faucets I want to include in a life moving forward--no longer held back by a fear of Armageddon or a gaslighter in the office and hopefully making better money, though I have to pay back the credit card debts of living the American Dream! Spring is just around the corner. The ice is melting, and hopefully I'll get the blog back into order in March. Until then, let's enjoy the cold for just a little longer.

Lyric video in Korean/English:
Performance on K-pop Star 3

 Music video:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

“A Voice in the Violence” by Wolves at the Gate, Tuesday, May 14, 2024

"My Secrets Have Secrets Too" by Search the City, Sunday, August 1, 2021