"Now That I Found You" by Carly Rae Jepsen, Saturday, February 4, 2023


Carly Rae Jepsen announced the second single, "Now That I Found You" from her fourth record Dedicated as part of the promotion for the third season of Netflix's Queer Eye. Many of the songs on Jepsen's 2019 record dealt with break ups and loneliness, much like her latest record, The Loneliest Season. The lead single and the album closer, "Party for One" deals with a love for oneself above the fleeting, divided attention from another.

MY HEART'S A SECRET. While Dedicated contains songs of self-actualization and self-acceptance, many of the songs deal with sex and love. "Want You in My Room" is probably the horniest the singer has ever gotten, and still she never explicitly says what those "bad things" she wants to do to the listener. "Happy Not Knowing" is a song about willful ignorance in order to keep a relationship going. And yet some of the songs are straight-forward love songs. "Now That I Found You" is one of them. The lyrics of the song sound like a fairytale romance leading up to a happily ever after. Carly Rae Jepsen has said in an interview that she wrote this song about her cat. The video (see below) takes this interpretation too. We see Jepsen finding a stray kitty in the rain and bringing him home. The video gets hilariously radical: the cat somehow multiplies; she smokes pot/catnip which causes her to hallucinate; then, at the end of the video, she meets a handsome man who also has a cat. Match made in heaven? At the pound? 

I FEEL I'M COMIN' ALIVE WITH YOU. In years past, I dedicated the days leading up to Valentine's Day to love songs. I've blogged about how, ever since I've come out to myself, I've been trying to make up for the shitty feelings I've felt surrounding the holiday when I was growing up--the single's awareness day. I hated the pressure I felt in high school and college to have someone to show off on the commercial holidays. But having survived a straight-passing childhood and young adulthood and then being in a relationship with someone who cares much more about the daily relationship than the in-your-face holidays, I feel like telling people that being single is okay. However, I do feel bad something I did without thinking. I booked my return ticket to Korea on February 15th, meaning that I won't be able to celebrate Valentine's Day with my boyfriend. Of course, it's a Tuesday and a work/school day, so our celebration would have been meager anyway and may have not happened. He would say don't take the day off; he has to study and can't spend time together. But what's worse is that I have to crash my sister's Valentine's Day and maybe my mom's. My bad.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

“A Voice in the Violence” by Wolves at the Gate, Tuesday, May 14, 2024

"My Secrets Have Secrets Too" by Search the City, Sunday, August 1, 2021