“True Faith” by New Order, Wednesday, August 16, 2023 (repost)
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Yesterday, I tested positive for Covid-19. I'd managed to avoid getting sick for three years, but something about the humidity of August and the close proximity to people made me susceptible. I'll try to get back to writing soon, but I don't have much energy. So I thought I'd share a repost today, a dusty memory about New Order, more specifically a keyboard from the '90s that listening to New Order today makes me think about.Buried under twenty years of dust in my parents garage lies an old Yamaha keyboard. It was my dad's Christmas present to my mom in the mid-90s. This model came with 100 recorded instruments, 100 styles of drum beats, everything from foxtrot to metal, and 25 or so recorded songs. It was a pretty typical family keyboard, but it kept me entertained for years. Although I started playing guitar at the age of 12, I had spent a long time messing around on that keyboard trying to make music. I loved playing the keyboard but hated how fake the instruments sounded. Strings, brass, woodwinds--all sounded like the vegetarian version served at camp meeting tasted. Still, that keyboard played such a crucial role for music in my life.
WHEN I WAS A VERY SMALL BOY. I got my first taste of synthesizers from my keyboard. I learned about the Orchestra Hit. It was the sound used in the hits by Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, and *NSync. Other synths were used in hits like Eiffel 65's "Blue" or Darude's "Sandstorm." And of course, all the computer games I was playing had similar synth music. But as the 2000s took full swing, I started to feel frustrated with the family keyboard. My friend's family had a newer model, and their instruments sounded 2% more real. This didn't stop me from playing it or using it to create weird songs with my sister on a tape player. I fully loved keyboard synthesizers without appreciating their origin story. My mom told me one day that I was going to start guitar lessons. I just said okay, but part of me was screaming out that I wanted to learn piano first. Why? Michael W. Smith was so cool back in the '90s. I wanted to learn how to record trippy music like on Delirious's Mezzamorphisalbum. And there were Skillet's Invincibleand Alien Youth albums. And Linkin Park was getting popular. And Earthsuit's Kaleidoscope Superiorhad me wondering how could Paul Meany rap so fast when playing the keyboard. I took the guitar and loved it, but rock without keys is kinda boring.
MY MORNING SUN IS THE DRUG THAT LEADS ME NEAR TO THE CHILDHOOD I LOST. I talked about my history with New Orderin January two years ago and about my initial disdain for the '80s sound in February of last year. Anberlin was certainly my gateway drug to New Order's discography, as they released a cover of this song as the third single from their New Surrenderalbum cycle, rereleasing their album with a bunch of B-Sides. A college professor I worked for loved this song, so I started getting into New Order. I don't remember when I first heard this song, but I steered away from it for years because of the old synthesizer sounds. I thought it sounded like something I could have recorded on my mom's keyboard. But years down the road, I see that's the charm of these old synth classics. The song opens with larger-than-life electronic drums. The keyboard keeps a dark atmosphere throughout most of the song until the end, shifting into a major key. New Order is the real deal. Pop and rock musicians look to their synth-pop songs for inspiration.
Spoken formed in 1996 and signed to CCM singer-songwriter Crystal Lewis 's Metro 1 label the following year. The band's early music was influenced by Rage Against the Machine and P.O.D., mostly consisting of rap-core and nu metal. After releasing three studio records and a greatest hits compilation through Metro 1, the band signed to Tooth & Nail Records in 2003 and released their fourth studio record, A Moment of Imperfect Clarity . A CHANCE TO CHANGE THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT. Spoken's fourth record, A Moment of Imperfect Clarity developed the band's sound from a rap-rock, nu metal band to a melodic post-hardcore band. With the Tooth & Nail years during the explosion of the record label and the mass-marketability of Christian Rock, Spoken gained a greater audience. Also with the backing of the record company, the production on their Tooth & Nail albums increased significantly. On the first Tooth & Nail record for spoken, the band worked with Garth ...
After “ Lunch ” and an afternoon in the park observing “ Birds of a Feather ,” it’s time to spend the rest of the afternoon settled into a small café. The entertainment is provided by a girl singing a song that sounds much older than her years. The song vaguely seems like a popular European jazz song from the 1940s. Perhaps it was a hit on a regional radio station. The young singer croons of a breakup. But then you black out and awaken in a discotheque. It’s the same day but several hours later. People are dancing. You notice on stage the singer looks familiar. She’s the same girl from earlier at the café. But her hair is different. She’s wearing a wig? But she doesn’t sound cool like before. She sounds empowered with her electronic voice and angry . You have just experienced one of the weirdest moments in pop music in 2024. Billie Eilish ’s “ L’AMOUR DE MA VIE .” FELT SORRY FOR YOU WHEN I LOOKED INTO YOUR EYES. Many of the songs on Billie Eilish’s HIT ME HARD AND SOFT are rumore...
East West was a Christian hard rock band that released two albums in the early 2000s. The most successful single from their debut album The Light in Guinevere's Garden was the guitar ballad " She Cries ," in which the band didn't scream the lyrics. East West's two releases are between two very important releases in Hard Christian Rock: P.O.D. 's Satellite and Underoath 's They're Only Chasing Safety . The band's follow up, Hope in Anguish was produced much better than TLiGG. The grungy sounds of slow songs and the gut-punching screams of the heavy songs met the drums, effects petals, and truly depressing lyrics--dealing with addiction, child abuse, and the music business. Four of the songs--three of the non-screaming tracks--made their way to Christian Rock radio. East West was a band that showed that they could write a hit and have a heavy album. I COULD NEVER REALLY FIND THE ANSWERS. Three years ...
Comments
Post a Comment