"Coffee" by Copeland, Thursday, October 12, 2023+ Coffee Playlist

 

It was a rainy summer break during my Freshman year of college. I was still driving my '91 Toyota Corolla, and that was the summer that I binged the first three Copeland albums. It started with 2003's Beneath Medicine Treethe indie/rock concept album about love and loss. About a month later I bought, 2005's In Motionwhich was a little more musically diverse. The next year's Eat, Sleep, Repeatwas closer to musical theater than rock. Each Copeland album had its own unique mood. Today's song, "Coffee," comes from Beneath Medicine Tree, which is the most immature of the Copeland albums. Lyricist and singer Aaron Marsh was fine-tuning his craft at writing sappy love songs, and this album's lyrics tended to be a little too over the top. The song "Coffee" appears as track 9, with a story as cliche as they get--two small-town kids falling in love while talking all night at the diner. The brief brush drum solo toward the end sounds just like coffee shop music. Today, I wanted to share my coffee playlist of mostly mellow tracks to sit with your daily grind. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

“A Voice in the Violence” by Wolves at the Gate, Tuesday, May 14, 2024

"My Secrets Have Secrets Too" by Search the City, Sunday, August 1, 2021