“Strangers” by Van She, Sunday, October 1, 2023

Van She (pronounced Van Ski) is an electronic pop band from Sydney, Australia. After forming in 2002, they released several EPs and two studio albums in 2008 and 2012. According to the band’s Facebook page, they posted a new track in 2019, but there have been no updates since then. I heard Van She’s “Strangers” when iTunes gave away a sampler of artists to check out. The song made me think about the band’s post-punk influences, such as Echo & the Bunnymen and possibly Tears for Fears, giving me modern-day Donnie Darko vibes. While the lyrics of “Strangers” feel more sexual, I think that there is something creepy about the song. That’s why I’m choosing today’s song to kick off Spooky Season and it will be the basis for the 2023 version of the Spooky Season playlist. Stay tuned for updates!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

“A Voice in the Violence” by Wolves at the Gate, Tuesday, May 14, 2024

"My Secrets Have Secrets Too" by Search the City, Sunday, August 1, 2021