"Run Away With Me" by Carly Rae Jepsen, Thursday, February 6, 2020





This album, though... I can listen to it from start to finish without skipping a track. This feels like a confession. At some point I'll probably make a case for "Call Me Maybe," which I still haven't gotten sick of, but for today, let's enjoy this banger, the first track on Carly Rae Jepsen's finest album. Starting with an almost kazoo-sounding saxophone riff--though not strange at all--which plays under the vocals when Carly cuts to the chorus. Somehow I happened to find this album while riding on a bus one weekend exploring something new. This was in 2016 when I lived on campus of my school, so every weekend for my sanity I had to go on an adventure. This meant lots of time on the rural-to-city bus. I listened to a lot of music while on the bus and waiting to transfer. At this point I spent quite a few weekends looking for something new whether it was coffee houses, interesting restaurants, different areas of town, new places to watch the flowers bloom or the leaves change.

YOUR STUCK IN MY HEAD, STUCK IN MY HEART, STUCK IN MY BODY. I can tell you a few good restaurants in Daegu. I know where to shop for _____. I can recommend an excellent place to get gelato. But those places change. New 맛집(popular restaurants) come and go. I can tell you the over-rated places. Hint: be very suspicious of Mexican food in Korea in general. I can tell you where you'll spend too much money.  I'll tell you that it's not worth it to go to the Arboretum when the leaves change. There will just be too many people. However, if you do happen to be in Dalseo-gu when the leaves have changed and it's approaching sunset on a clear day, don't take the subway. Take a bus and watch the scenery go by in the window. You'll have quite a show of color. I can't separate a single weekend, but I do know that Carly Rae Jepsen's Emotion was the soundtrack to my exploration.

PACKING A BAG, LEAVING TONIGHT, WHILE EVERYONE'S SLEEPING. Those weekends feel like a lifetime ago. Last year I heard this song while I was in North Carolina shopping at the outlet mall on a very cold weekend. I end up going home about every other year. Now who knows when travel will normalize again. I don't take the bus very often because of Corona, and I try to stay pretty local. I walk a lot, and take out food and coffee. I don't carry a backpack much anymore. When you lived out in the middle of nowhere I carried my home with me. I often brought a change of clothes just in case I was on the other side of town or another city and couldn't get home. The days of adventure are waning. Still whenever I hear this song it makes me feel like some weekend, in the near future, "we can turn the world to gold."



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

“A Voice in the Violence” by Wolves at the Gate, Tuesday, May 14, 2024

"My Secrets Have Secrets Too" by Search the City, Sunday, August 1, 2021