The Musical Equivalent to a Grilled Cheese Sandwich Playlist featuring "Beth/Rest" by Bon Iver, Sunday, January 30, 2022

On a cold winter's day, in the middle of the stress of house-hunting, I thought I'd make a playlist for those bad days that aren't quite depressing and not quite angry. Today's featured song is "Beth/Rest" by Bon Iver. I resisted putting this song on my Pseudo '80s Playlist because, despite the soft-rock keys and saxophone, the vocal distortion sounds more of a product of its time than a retro track. Some of the songs on today's list will be a little sad, but something about them gives me strength rather than pushes me further into a despair. As always, I'll put the links for each song. I'm going to stick to tracks I've written about and add to this list as I feel the song is appropriate. First, I'll share my Spotify playlist:


1. "Beth/Rest" by Bon Iver is the representative song of the day. 
2. "Tell Me How" by Paramore is a sad song, but the resolve at the end leaves the power in Haley Williams' hands.
3. "Easy on Me" by Adele. The song is pure healing
4. "Fix You" (Coldplay Cover) by Boyce Avenue ft. Tyler Ward. I reserved another Coldplay song for this playlist.
5. "Reunion" by M83
6. "Harbinger" by Anberlin is a song about the band's break up. It's sad, but it helps us remember the beauty of something that was.

7. "Glory/Us" by Acceptance
8. " I Don't Live Here Anymore" by The War on Drugs is a nostalgic song about moving on, if that makes sense.
9. "Balconies" by Paper Route
11. "I Already See It" by Kye Kye this epic opener to their sophomore record makes listeners contemplate the meaning of love.
12. "Clear" by NEEDTOBREATHE 

13. "Have I Always Loved You" by Copeland
14. "Dizzy" by Jimmy Eat World
15. "Amy, I" by Jack's Mannequin. Though "Swim" is probably the right answer, the music of "Amy, I" seems to resolve the issue of this song, like reflections on a lesson learned.

16. "This Is Heaven" by Nick Jonas
17. "O" by Coldplay
18. "Spiders" by Lovedrug "If God was on the radio"
19. "To Be Alone with You" by Sufjan Stevens
20. "Sprite" by Coin is a song about coming home.
21. "Forever Yours" by Key ft. Soyou
22. "Absolute" by The Fray
23. "Frail" by Jars of Clay
24. "Time Walking on Memories" by Nell

25. "Shine" by Kim Sung Kyu. When I discovered the Another Me EP, I realized not all K-pop is the same.
26. "Blue" by Taeyeon
27. "Am I the Only One" by SF9
28. "Diamonds" (Rihanna Cover) by Josef Salvat
29. "Contact" (Complexus) by Falling Up

30. "Part of It" by Relient K is finally on Spotify!
31. "Charlie and Annie" by Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers
32. "Rust" by Tyson Motsenbocker is a sad song about being unable to love someone properly. However, the cadence in the song is reflective, almost like the speaker has learned from his mistake.
33. "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac is a classic break up song. But sometimes "going your own way" is the best thing for everyone.
34. "My Bad" by Advanced ft. Shaun is a song about getting famous and making amends with past relationships.

35. "All I Have" by Until June
36. "Soothsayer" by Of Monsters and Men has some big ballad vibes.
37. "Blind" by Lifehouse
38. "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz
39. "Better Now" by The Juliana Theory. It's an inspirational song about people making the change.
40. "Holding Onto You" by Jonezetta
41. "Disappearing World" by Fair is a song about change and whether to embrace it or not.

42. "Lost it All" by Leagues 
43. "Put Me Back Together" by Ivory Circle ft. Aaron Marsh. With only 436 monthly listeners, let's give this band some love. 
44. "Make it Up" by Shura
45. "High Hopes" by Kodaline
46. "Machines" by Paradise Now
47. "Streets of Philadelphia" by Bruce Springsteen is depressing in the context of the film it comes from; however, the song reminds us to embrace the 'brotherly love' motto of the city that means 'brotherly love.'
48. "Twilight of My Youth" by Tyler Burkum
49. "True Faith" by New Order
50. "All These Things" by OneRepublic. We never love in an equal amount, and we cannot try to track who loves who more.
51. "Letter to Myself" by Furthermore
52. "Look How Far We've Come" by Corey Crowder

And that's enough for today. I'll keep tweaking this list as I write more. I'll add links later. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Photograph" Ed Sheeran, Saturday, February 3, 2024 (updated repost)

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

"All of Me Wants All of You" (Helado Negro Remix) by Sufjan Stevens, Sunday, February 27, 2022