“Good Thing” by Jake Miller, Monday, August 22, 2022

In 2016, Jake Miller released a style-changing EP titled Overnight. The south- Florida-based singer started his musical career while he was a student at the University of Miami, posting videos of his music online. Miller cut his teeth in Hip-Hop, opening for Snoop Dogg and releasing several Hip-Hop EPs and a full length record in 2013. Miller’s music always featured a tropical house melodic elements, but in 2016, Miller shifted more to singing, releasing Overnight without any rapping. The seven-track EP of feel-good electronic vibes, are brimming with youth, vitality, and sexuality. 

YOU DON’T HAVE TO GO NOWHERE BABY. With only two minor pop radio hits, 2014’s “First Flight Home” and 2019’s “Wait for You,” Jake Miller certainly isn’t a household name. But the late summer sounds of Overnight were refreshing in a year of turmoil. In an interview with Zach Sang, Miller discusses his change in sound and his new life in Los Angeles. While explaining his change in style, Miller talks about his musical history, starting with listening to *NSYNC then growing into Eminem and John Mayer. He even mentions listening to The Starting Line and The Almost in high school. Overnight was the first project Miller released on a major label, Warner Music. After working as an independent artist and songwriter, Overnight features Miller just on vocal duty with other producers and doing the lifting. In 2022 the EP sounds a little generic. Looking at the production and songwriting team that also produced Justin Bieber, Dua Lipa, Fifth Harmony, Olly Murs, and Years & Years, these acts somewhat superior to Overnight, Jake Miller is set up as a promising talent, nonetheless. "Good Thing," is a highlight, and it has seriously infectious hooks; the harmonies on the final chorus bring the song over the top. Other than "Good Thing," other songs have hooks, but don't quite reach that level of catchiness.

I JUST WANT TO FEEL YOUR LIPS AND GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER.  I could probably write a book about 2016 and the parallels between how my faith started to disappear, the struggles in my relationship as my boyfriend had begun conscription, struggles with major adjustments at work, and the toxic political climate evolving around the world. Plus, that summer I visited home and there was a lot of disconnection within my family after the passing of my grandfather. I was stressed and tired, and after my 29th birthday, aging, at least in my mind. My musical palette was evolving through all of these changes. Electronic pop music still seemed fresh in 2016, like an auto-voice could express a suave feeling whereas rock felt antiquated. I was a different person. I was shedding my puritanical views on sex and gender roles. I was susceptible to saccharine electronic pop music, particularly if it was sung by a handsome bro--seriously, it seems like a big part of Miller's career is based on his looks. But it has to be the love of my life who introduced me to this song that's the reason it hold's today's title as song of the day.  In the second year of our relationship, this song meant something, even if it's a fading memory on our seven-year anniversary. And despite the overuse of autotune on the chorus, I'd argue that the memories are pretty good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

“A Voice in the Violence” by Wolves at the Gate, Tuesday, May 14, 2024

"My Secrets Have Secrets Too" by Search the City, Sunday, August 1, 2021