Under the Covers, Vol. 2 featuring "Blinding Lights" (Cover of The Weeknd) by Kurt Hugo Schneider & Sam Tsui, Monday, January 31, 2022


When I made my Under the Covers, Vol. 1 playlist last week, I knew that I would be making Volume 2 soon after. However, I didn't think it would be exactly one week later. Because of my rule of one song per artist, I couldn't simply add today's cover of The Weeknd's "Blinding Lights" to Volume 1. However, if I followed the same rules for last week's playlist, covers only featured on my blog, I'd only have two songs in the playlist. So, I opened it up to covers of songs featured in the playlist. I made this playlist with YouTube because some of the songs aren't available on streaming services. I'm sure that I missed some. I had to add a few to last week's playlist I had overlooked. Here's volume 2:



1. "Blinding Lights" (The Weeknd cover) by Kurt Hugo Schneider & Sam Tsui
2. "True Faith" (New Order cover) by Anberlin
3. "Love Me Like You Do" (Ellie Goulding cover) by Boyce Avenue
4. "Easy on Me" (Adele cover) by Sam Tsui & Casey Breves. Technically "Blinding Lights" is Kurt Hugo Schneider ft. Sam Tsui and "Easy on Me" is Sam Tsui ft. his husband Casey Breves, a fellow YouTuber and cover artist. Casey adds power to Sam's voice. Let's hope this isn't an omen of a break up.

5. "When You Were Young" (The Killers cover) by Joy Electric
6. "Wish" (Paper Route cover) by Aaron Roche
7. "To Be Alone with You" (Sufjan Stevens cover) by Fleurie appears on the soundtrack for Hulu's Looking for Alaska.
8. "Friends" (Justin Bieber cover) by Tyler Ward
9. "Fix You" (Coldplay cover) by BTS. I didn't write about the original version, so including this is like a cover of a cover. However, this version reportedly put Coldplay in touch with BTS and lead to recording their collaboration that brought the English band back to the top of the Hot 100 with "My Universe." 

10. "Summertime Sadness" (Lana Del Rey cover) by Daniela Andrade ft. Gia Margaret is a beautiful cover because of its delicate guitars and the two singers harmonizing. Andrade adds an even sadder-girl sound to the original sad-girl singer.
11. "God Gave Me You" (Dave Barnes cover) by Blake Shelton. There's several layers of problematic to this song/cover. Shelton heard this song on a CCM radio station and covered it, dedicating it to his fiancé/ex-wife. Barnes, however, is still with his wife and their family looks like it comes straight from a Ralph Lauren advertisement!

12. "Losing My Religion" (R.E.M. cover) by the cast of Glee. Interesting proximity of these songs. I mentioned this cover in the original blog post.
13. "Careless Whisper" (Wham! cover) by Seether
14. "Somebody That I Used to Know" (Gotye ft. Kimbra cover) by Three Days Grace. This was kind of a comeback song for Three Days Grace. The band is a bit more metal now.
15. "Streets of Philadelphia" (Bruce Springsteen cover) by The Fray
16. "Hazy Shade of Winter"(Simon & Garfunkel cover) by The Bangles

And that's Under the Covers, Vol. 2 for now. I'll add more songs as I write about them, and if I find myself with another Boyce Avenue cover, expect a Volume 3 with new rules. Until then, enjoy the first two volumes of covers.

Check out the video that inspired me for the song of the day:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Photograph" Ed Sheeran, Saturday, February 3, 2024 (updated repost)

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

"All of Me Wants All of You" (Helado Negro Remix) by Sufjan Stevens, Sunday, February 27, 2022