추천한 K-pop Starter Pack featuring "Honestly..." by Eric Nam and 25+ other songs, Monday, January 10, 2022

여러분 안녕하세요? 오늘 새 플레이리스트를 소개할 게요. I'm going to introduce my second playlist-in-a-playlist, some of my K-pop recommendations that I've written about last year. Unlike 2021+, 추천한 K-pop will be a fluid playlist, updated as I write about other tracks. Again, I'll be restricting myself to one track per artist, but the artist may be featured on another track. For example, I had to choose between "Fake Love" or "Lights" by BTS, but I can add "My Universe" by Coldplay featuring BTS, without breaking the rules. The same goes for solo artists who are also part of a boy/girl band, so both EXO and Girls' Generation will appear along with their members D.O. and Taeyeon. Also, some of the tracks aren't in Korean, but they are made by bands that also have tracks in Korean. I will list my original track list below and make a few comments, but I'll also leave a link to the original blog post. First, here is the playlist:



1. "Honestly" by Eric Nam. Today's song of the day. But also check out his cover of Jason Mraz's "I Won't Give Up." He also has an EP that was released on Friday I need to listen to. 
2. "Age" by From the Airport. A duo who has released two albums and a few EPs. Many of their songs are in English, including this song, but a few on The Boy Who Jumped are in Korean.
3. "Fake Love" by BTS. Also check out their Japanese song "Lights."
4. "Bad Love" by Key, but also check out "Forever Yours." 
5. "Weekend" by Taeyeon, but also check out "Blue" and "Time Lapse" from this former Girls' Generation member. 

6. "Lilac" by IU was released this spring to commemorate the former teen singer's 30th birthday. The entire album is catchy, but "Lilac" reminds K-pop listeners that they are listening to the queen of spring.
7. "One Love" by Wanna One. The now defunct boy band that gave BTS a run for their money for a while.
8. "Mr. Mr." by Girls' Generation. Also check out "Into the New World"
9. "Not Spring, Love or Cherry Blossoms" by HIGH4 ft. IU. Who's HIGH4? We probably know this more as an IU song, though she was a featured act, so it's okay to include this spring track.

10. "I Feel You" by Wonder Girls is a dripping wet song of the summer. Though Wonder Girls has broke up in 2017, Sunmi keeps releasing provocative music and videos as a solo artist.
11. "The Little Prince" by Hoan & Pullik (Produced by Godic) is from the hit television show High School Rapper. Korean hip-hop is mostly for inside Korea, but some of it is starting to export.
12. "My Bad" by Advanced ft. Shaun was released in 2019. There's also an English version with Julie Bergan singing the lyrics in English, well approximately. She leaves out the part about living in a small apartment with a cat and two dogs.

13. "Time Spent Walking on Memories" by Nell is a perfect autumny treat. But also check out their song "Ocean of Light."
14. "Love in Summer" by George ft. Cosmic Boy is perfect for a lazy summer day. The indie-pop singer releases songs in both Korean and English.
15. "Rose" by D.O. is a part of a laid-back EP released in the late summer of last year. "Rose" has both a Korean and an English version, but keep in mind that the English version isn't a direct translation of the Korean song.

16. "2002WorldCup" by Hyukoh is an indie rock song about growing up. Hyukoh sings in Korean, English, and Mandarin.
17. "Addict" by Sik-K is and addictive tonal rap track released in 2019.
18. "Bike" by ADOY is a band that sings mostly in English, but they have a few Korean songs. 
19. "Ringa Linga" by Taeyang
20. "One Way Love" by Hyolyn is from the debut EP Love & Hate by the singer from Sista
21. "Git It Up!" by H.O.T. This is the oldest K-pop song on my list from 1999. 
22. "Am I the Only One?" by SF9. Not the atrocious pro-Trump song by the same name by Aaron Lewis formerly of Staind.
23. "Shine" by Kim Sung-Kyu

24."Whoz That Girl?" by EXID
25. "Oasis" by EXO but also check out their song "Lightsaber."
26. "My Universe" by Coldplay ft. BTS is the most shameless pop collaborations that helped propel Coldplay back to the top of Billboard's Hot 100. There were some other K-pop collaborations by major artists, Like Lady Gaga ft. BlackPink, BlackPink ft. Gomez, VaultBoy ft. Eric Nam, and too many BTS collaborations to name, but Coldplay might be the biggest collaboration.

35. "Way Back Home" by Shaun. This is the final song for today, and I can technically add it because "My Bad" is Advanced ft. Shaun. 

So that's my list of songs that I've written about in the past year. There are certainly others that I wrote about in 2020, but I'll save them for later and keep adding to this list and revising this post in the future. I look forward to more of these playlist within a playlist posts because it's a great way for me to revisit my past entries--and cringe--and revise here and there.  Now, I'll leave you with the YouTube playlist. I might add an AppleMusic version, too, but that may be later.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry (reworked post), Tuesday, February 27, 2024

“A Voice in the Violence” by Wolves at the Gate, Tuesday, May 14, 2024

"My Secrets Have Secrets Too" by Search the City, Sunday, August 1, 2021